Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumTechnical: Members ProjectsRLW 7W
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

RLW 7W

Wow I bet that took much head scratching.

My only question would be that by reverse mounting the alternator will it have cooling issues?

If it ain't broken don't try to fix it as if you do it will definitely break
Quote from Colin Goodey on 22nd April 2019, 3:38 pm

Wow I bet that took much head scratching.

My only question would be that by reverse mounting the alternator will it have cooling issues?

Cooling would not be as efficient but hopefully it won't be an issue. Only one way to find out right?

If you build it, they will come

Progress is slow, but the alternator bracket is finished and it's a work of art.

I've got all the bits I need for the coolant pipe from the back of the block to the front. I've worked out how I'm going to feed the MGB heater matrix, which heater bypass valve to use and how it should be plumbed. I've also got an MGB GT V8 radiator so I know where all the pipes need to end up.

I've got the exhaust flanges that I need for making new exhaust headers. However, there's one possibility I need to eliminate before I start. The exhaust manifolds from a Vectra look like they might just work. The chance of them being perfect is small, but for the sake of £20 I need to eliminate that possibility before I embark on the long, expensive and probably frustrating job of making custom headers.

I've also been analysing the wiring loom. I'm planning on getting rid of the Lucas style bullet connectors where the loom segments join and replacing them with more modern multiway connectors to improve reliability. I'm planning on running the loom inside the car rather than underneath, just like the RV8. I'm also considering replacing the 4 way fuse box with a similar looking 6 or 8 way to get rid of those inline fuses. I'm way past caring about originality, but I'm going to keep it tasteful.

And finally, I found out that Lotus used this engine in a one-off Exige variant. They managed to get 400bhp out of it!! http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige.htm

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190503_193144.jpg
  • IMG_20190503_193224.jpg

You're doing very well with it Ian.

Bob Hubbard

Lots of small updates this time. I've removed the old engine mounts from the engine bay, repainted the cross member and got the engine back in the car. I've bought a shifter mechanism for the gearbox & found that the gear stick is 99% in the correct place - just a small adjustment needed. I also managed to obtain a Vectra exhaust manifold after about 3 weeks of trying. I was hoping it would be the holy grail solution that would magically fit on both sides of the engine to give me an easy solution to my exhaust manifold problem. Unfortunately, it wasn't suitable for either side. I was only £15 so was hardly wasted money, but it was a huge waste of time. So, I've got exhaust manifold flanges and plan to create the headers at the beginning of June with some help from my son and my friend Nick. I figure if all goes to plan, the engine will start some time in July. However, much more to do before it actually drives. I need brake lines, clutch line, hand brake, throttle cable, front brake disks & calipers, engine loom wiring and a propshaft. The engine will need to come out of the car at least once more.

I did, however, make a small but important breakthrough today. I had a eureka moment & managed to get the sunroof out of the car. Now it's out I can see how I can repair and refurbish it. I'm much more confident I can keep it now.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190511_163103.jpg
  • IMG_20190514_183428.jpg
  • IMG_20190514_183202-1.jpg
  • IMG_20190514_183915-1.jpg
  • IMG_20190518_165319.jpg
  • IMG_20190518_165339.jpg

those sunroofs are very rare and a costly fit , i think we only have about 3 or 4 cars with them fitted

I've spent a few evenings cutting out the rot and welding in new metal. Still some tidying up to do grinding down some welds but it's mostly complete. Obviously it needs sealing and painting, and the headlining & trim will cover most of it when that gets fitted, but at least it's rot free now. I'm going to refit everything over the next few days & check it works properly. I'd resigned myself to fitting an entire new roof skin so I'm glad this is done.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190518_165339.jpg
  • IMG_20190519_160243.jpg
  • IMG_20190519_150254.jpg
  • IMG_20190519_174144.jpg
  • IMG_20190523_195302.jpg
  • IMG_20190524_171821.jpg

I've finally gathered together some stainless pipe & bends for the exhaust, and with the help of my son Robert & my friend Nick, I've made a start on the drivers side exhaust header. I decided I wanted to try to avoid cutting RV8 style holes in the inner wing & try to make efficient block-hugger headers. I didn't fancy doing this whilst the engine was in the car, so I made a template from a strip of alloy sheet which bolted to the engine block & ran the length of the steering rack. This is so I could remove the engine & still know where the steering rack would be so I could avoid it when making the headers. I've got as far as welding a few bends onto the header flange and mocking up the rest from cheap thin tube. I'll try this in the engine bay and if it fits, I'll re-create in proper stainless steel. It does look good already though 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190610_195756.jpg
  • IMG_20190610_203104.jpg
  • IMG_20190610_202643.jpg
  • IMG_20190610_202724.jpg

Nice.... they aren't nearly as tight to the block as the V8 huggers ...

What plans have you got for the exhaust(s), cats etc?

I'll be putting a 38mm > 51mm flare directly after the merge that you see there, then a 90 degree into a pair of 2" pipes. What it does then is open to debate. Options are - join like the v8 system does into a single system, or keep separate right until the back box, or of course keep separate all the way through. I'm keen to keep as much vee sound as I can, so I may just experiment until I'm happy - within the bounds of cost of course.

Cats on a 1981 car? Nah 😀