Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumTechnical: Members ProjectsRLW 7W
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

RLW 7W

My friend and I spent some time at the weekend welding the first exhaust manifold together. It's not quite complete yet but the bulk of it's done. We've still got to complete the lower half of the manifold before we can consider this side done. It was tricky avoiding the steering shaft but I think we've succeeded so far, and as a bonus, it even looks like it should flow relatively well.  And then, it's the same job all over again for the passenger side. Luckily, space is not quite so short on the other side so it should be somewhat easier, relatively speaking.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190617_183808.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_184254.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_184435.jpg
If you build it, they will come

Since the last update, I've taken the engine out again, removed the rear axle & got the car back up on the rotisserie so I can weld up the hole in the transmission tunnel. It came out quite well to be honest. It's welded in the same way it is done by the factory, with the same layout of panels & the same style of seams. You'd barely know it's been fixed.

I've also spent some time getting the rear-to-front water pipe created. This was another of those things that appears like a simple job, but once you get started you realize that what's actually needed was a lot more intricate than you imagined. Anyway, I spent more time on it that I would have liked but it's created & now needs final welding.

I made some progress on the exhaust manifolds too. I spent ages working out how to join the collector section to the main manifold section. As usual the visible progress doesn't reflect the amount of work put into it.

This week I hope to complete the brake lines under the car and I'm tempted to also complete the fuel lines whilst the car is in the air & accessible. I'll then get the water pipe welded up & get the engine back in the car. I can then complete the drivers side exhaust manifold and start on the passenger side.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190628_191847.jpg
  • IMG_20190628_191150.jpg
  • IMG_20190628_191137.jpg
  • IMG_20190628_191224.jpg
If you build it, they will come

The thought process is often a long and painful one...

I presume that the factory routing for the coolant pipe was completely different, added advantage that the exhaust will now double as a pre-heater 🙂 . Are you able to pressure test the pipe before hane to check your welds as I don't think it is something you would want to find is a problem later?

 

If it ain't broken don't try to fix it as if you do it will definitely break

The factory routing was similar, but the pipe came out further in all directions. I have a lack of space so needed to tuck it in closer. And yes, I plan to pressure test it. I thought I might try the air compressor and a water butt.

If you build it, they will come

I decided to focus on some other jobs this evening. My friend lent me his brake flaring tool and it's MUCH better than my cheap one. It does the "universal flare" the same as Moss use on their brake pipes. I started with the front to rear pipe. It took me AGES on Google to work out how the brake pipe is meant to fit on the later model MGBs. Seems the pipe routing is different to the earlier models. I got there in the end though, but I did have to make a fancy bracket for the flexible brake line to attach to (when I actually order one). I've also realized that I've plumbed the axle incorrectly so I'll need to fix that at some point too.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20190704_180418.jpg
  • IMG_20190704_203939.jpg
  • IMG_20190704_203946.jpg
If you build it, they will come