Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumTechnical: Members ProjectsRLW 7W
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

RLW 7W

Before I started this engine swap, I checked the gear ratios of the Omega gearbox against the standard MGB axle to see if it would be tolerable. I found that the speeds at 3000rpm were almost the same as the standard 4speed overdrive MGB. You could argue that a torquier v6 could do with taller ratios, but hopefully it will drive ok.

 

Uploaded files:
  • MGB.png
  • v6MGB7000.png
If you build it, they will come

I've had a few other expenses to pay for this month (other than the MGB) so the anticipated propshaft needs to wait another week. In the meantime I've got some small jobs finished.

  • The horrible Vauxhall gear stick has been removed and replaced with a diy gear stick made from steel tube & rod and a cheap Chinese gear knob that shows the correct gear pattern. It actually feels great and looks fine. It's a massive improvement on the std Omega one.
  • I've taken the v8 radiator to a local radiator repair specialist (Regal Rads) who soldered in a brass boss for me so I can fit a fan switch. Unlike the 4-cylinder radiator, the v8 radiator doesn't have one built in. When you have a v8 , it's in the thermostat housing on the engine itself. I bought a 105 degree switch which is the same as the Omega would have had. When I come to do the cam belt, I'll seriously consider fitting a cooler thermostat & a lower temp fan switch but for now, it's fine.
  • I fitted a relay to the fan circuit so that the radiator switch isn't taking the load of the fan motor. I've wired it so the fan switch will complete the ground pin of the relay.
  • I discovered the clutch master cylinder was weeping so I ordered a £5 seal kit from MGB Hive. It was straight forward to fit and has solved the problem completely. If you do this job yourself, remember to throw away the white plastic thingy that comes with the kit. You don't need it for a clutch master cylinder. Apparently you only use this if you're doing a brake master cylinder (uses the same kit).
  • My brakes wouldn't bleed. The front circuit was dry as a bone and try as I might, I couldn't get any fluid through. I tried to take apart the master cylinder to see what was up, but it was just completely gunked up -way beyond saving. Luckily for me, Peter Derbyshire had just replaced his master cylinder to try to solve an issue only to discover his old master cylinder was working perfectly. So I bought and fitted his old one. Brakes are now bled and the pedal is now relatively firm.
  • I won an auction on ebay a while back for a throttle cable. I think it was from a mk1 Cavalier automatic or something. I bought it because it had the correct fittings & looked long enough. It was only £3 delivered so I thought I'd take a chance. It did fit but it was a little bit too long so I removed it and shortened by 12". It fits better now and the throttle pedal feels more responsive.
  • I bought a 12mm to 10mm reducer from Car Builder Solutions so I could finally connect the vacuum pipe to the servo.
  • Bought and fitted a 6PK1440 fan belt & fitted it. I had to do a small amount of pulley alignment with some shims but other than that, it seems to fit fine.
Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20191025_165853.jpg
  • IMG_20191025_165820.jpg
  • IMG_20191025_165746.jpg
If you build it, they will come

I finally have a prop fitted!

It's a little different to what I first planned, though. The original idea was to use the flange adaptor that my friend machined on his lathe. This would convert the 3 bolt gearbox flange to a standard 4 bolt prop flange. However, some people put doubts into my mind about whether this would be a good idea or not. Logic tells me that the adaptor would be fine. People use these kind of adaptors on very high horsepower engines without trouble. The commercial ones are made from the same material and machined to the same tolerances as the one my friend made so really, my thinking was illogical.

However, the doubt wouldn't go away so I had to find a "better" solution.

In the end, I found several places that could make me a strong propshaft with a flange to bolt directly to the gearbox. The only problem was, they were about 50% more expensive than my local prop shop. However, these guys were experts in making bespoke props & I felt much happier with the advice I got from them than from my local prop shop. The vendor I chose in the end was Dave Mac Propshafts. They patiently answered all my questions & reassured my that they knew what they were talking about. The prop arrived about 3 days after ordering.

I fitted it tonight. It was a bit of a faff actually getting it in because clearance is tight, but it's in and it fits perfectly

My mind is now at rest, about this issue at least 🙂

btw, any nuts & bolts you see in the pics are temporary!

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20191105_192849.jpg
  • IMG_20191105_192908.jpg
  • IMG_20191105_192924.jpg
  • IMG_20191105_193022.jpg
If you build it, they will come